Be the dinnertime hero by whipping up these Instant Pot Mashed Red Potatoes: the creamy, quick, flavorful version of everybody’s favorite side dish.
I had my wisdom teeth removed (I only had three) the summer before my junior year of college. I was living in an apartment with friends, taking a summer class and feeling very much like a grown-up. Since I was 3000 miles away from my family, J drove me to the oral surgeon’s office on the big day.
The only thing I remember about being in the office is coming to when surgery was over. I was in that haze between sleep and wakefulness, but I remember clearly hearing the conversation between two nurses. Then one of them said to me, “Abby, you need to keep your eyes open.” And I replied, “I thought they were.”
You might also like: Oven-Roasted Potatoes with Bacon and Cheese
We stopped on the way home for a chocolate milkshake, but it kept running out of my mouth, so we went through the KFC drive-thru for an order of mashed potatoes. If I had any love for that place before our visit (spoiler alert: I didn’t; there was no love.), those bland, watery mashed potatoes would have squashed it. Luckily, my mouth was still numb enough that I could choke them down.
Which brings us to these Instant Pot Mashed Red Potatoes. Y’all, those nasty fast food “potatoes” don’t even deserve to share a name with this recipe. These guys are perfectly chunky in the best sort of rustic way. They’re creamy without being bland, flavorful without losing their potato-ness.
Basically, they’re everything mashed potatoes should be and you need to make them now.
Instant Pot Mashed Red Potatoes
- 3 lbs red potatoes
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- Cut potatoes into one-inch chunks (do not peel). Place potatoes in Instant Pot and add water just until potatoes are covered. Add kosher salt and set the Instant Pot to manual for eight minutes.
- When the timer goes off, release the pressure, remove the lid, and drain the water from the pot.
- Use a potato masher to mash potatoes. You don’t want to leave any large chunks, but it isn’t necessary to make the potatoes completely smooth.
- Add the milk, sour cream, and butter, and stir the potatoes until everything is well-combined and melted. Sprinkle in the garlic powder, salt, pepper, and parsley, and mix until combined. Serve warm.
- This recipe can be made without an Instant Pot; just cook the potatoes on the stove as you normally would (sorry, I can’t provide times or temperatures) and finish with all the ingredients listed above.
- Amp up the flavor by adding bacon, shredded cheese, or fresh garlic.
More Easy Instant Pot Recipes
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for Instant Pot Mashed Red Potatoes!