A creamy, cheesy, spicy Low Carb Jalapeño Popper Bites recipe that is just as pleasing to regular eaters as it is to low carb folks. It’s simple to make and gluten-free, too!
One night in March of 2010, I was feeling off. I was tired and a little crampy, but I was always pretty “regular,” so I figured I knew what was up. I stopped by the grocery store after work to grab frozen jalapeño poppers, tampons and, on a whim, a pregnancy test. Once home, I tossed the poppers in the oven and headed to the bathroom to take the test.
It was positive! Nine months later, G was born. So basically, for me, jalapeño poppers are more than just crunchy, cheesy, creamy bites of spicy goodness. They’re a fun reminder of those few minutes I jumped up and down the hall of the first home we bought together, our giant black lab bounding along behind me.
While these Low Carb Jalapeño Popper Bites didn’t accompany a positive pregnancy test (or a negative one), they are certainly memorable.
My main goal in creating low carb recipes is that each one doesn’t seem diet-y at all. I want them to be just as appealing to my non-low carb eating friends and family as they are to those who are eating like I am. This recipe totally delivers. They’re wonderfully creamy and smooth on the inside, with a delightfully flavorful crunch on the outside.
No one who eats these Low Carb Jalapeño Popper Bites will feel deprived in any way. There are no wacky substitutions here, just bite after bite of spicy and cheesy goodness.
Low Carb Jalapeño Popper Bites
Inspired by Accidentally Wonderful
- 10 bacon slices
- 4 jalapeño peppers
- 5 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbs water
- 1 1/4 cups crushed pork rinds
- Dice the bacon and then cook it, draining it on a paper towel-lined plate when it’s done. While the bacon is cooking, remove the seeds from the jalapeños and dice them finely.
- Stir together bacon, jalapeños, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and mozzarella cheese. Mix well to fully combine everything. Scoop out small portions of the mixture and roll into one-inch balls. Place the balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet and place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- While the bites are chilling, whisk together the eggs and the water in a small bowl. Place the pork rind crumbs in a separate small bowl.
- Remove the chilled balls from the freezer and bread them one at a time by dipping each first in the egg and then in the pork rinds. Be sure to fully coat the balls first in the egg and then in the crumbs.
- Place the breaded low carb jalapeño popper bites in the bin of your air fryer and cook at 360 degrees for 9 minutes (see Notes section below for baking instructions). Allow bites to cool slightly before serving with ranch for dipping.
- This recipe yields approximately 24 bites. According to my calculations, with my ingredients, 6 bites contain 2 net carbs (this does not account for dipping sauce).
- My air fryer does not require preheating; if yours does, be sure to not skip that step.
- If you do not own an air fryer, you can try baking the jalapeño popper bites at 350 degrees. Should you do this, I suggest placing them back in the freezer for 10 minutes after they are breaded.
Other Low Carb Recipes Everyone Will Love
Low Carb Chicken Bacon Ranch Pizza
Sausage-Stuffed Mini Sweet Peppers
Chicken and Cheese Stuffed Roasted Poblanos