If you’ve ever used your fingers to scrape the last bit of brownie batter from the bowl, these to-die-for Brownie Batter Cupcakes are as close to dessert heaven as you can get.
A few weeks back, I had the opportunity to make a birthday cake for a friend’s daughter’s surprise sweet 16 party. The daughter also happens to be a former student, one of my kids’ favorite people, and a great babysitter, so I knew I had to make a cake worthy of her awesomeness.
I was pretty proud of the strawberry layer cake with chocolate ganache, but as a lifelong chocolate-lover, the Brownie Batter Cupcakes I made to supplement the cake were, to me, the real star.
I know I’m not the only person who puts an inordinate amount of effort into scraping every.last.bit of batter from the bowl when I make brownies. It’s just irresistible, and it was my inspiration for these Brownie Batter Cupcakes. With brownie mix in both the cupcakes and the frosting, these cupcakes are every chocoholic brownie-lover’s dream.
Brownie Batter Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
- box devil’s food cake mix
- 1/2 cup brownie mix
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup brownie mix
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together the cake mix, the brownie mix, the flour, and the sugar. Add the eggs, milk, oil, sour cream, and vanilla. Whisk until well combined.
- Scoop the batter into muffin tins prepared with cupcake liners. Fill the liners about two-thirds full. Bake cupcakes for 16-20 minutes, or until the centers are set. Allow cupcakes to cool in the pans for five minutes, and then transfer them to a cooling rack.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting. Beat together the butter and the shortening. Add the powdered sugar and the brownie mix and mix until well incorporated.
- Add the vanilla extract and half the milk. Mix well. Add the remaining milk if necessary to reach your desired consistency. Beat on medium speed for three minutes until fluffy.
- Frost the completely cooled cupcakes and garnish with brownie chunks, if desired (see notes).
- To garnish your cupcakes with brownie pieces: prepare the remaining brownie mix according to package instructions, using about half of each additional ingredient called for.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
Double Chocolate Brownies with Salted Caramel Frosting
Pin these Brownie Batter Cupcakes for later!
Well this is the perfect dessert. Not sure if you want brownies or cupcakes? This is the best of both worlds. Perfect celebration cupcake.
Brownies plus cupcakes meet is such a good idea! It’s always so hard to choose between the two and now I don’t have to! I’m craving all things chocolate just looking at your photos!
Jessica (Swanky Recipes) says
I’ve been huge on making cupcakes lately and I love to share them for graduation parties, family reunions, and cookouts. I’ve been craving brownies and these are perfect for a chocolate fix!
Sam | Ahead of Thyme says
I am obsessed with cupcakes but brownie batter ones? Wow that sounds AMAZING!! Can’t wait to try this!
Chocolate is my happy place! And brownie batter? What the what? Just found my new obsession!
If cupcakes couldn’t get any better, then you put brownie piece on top!! Loving all the chocolate goodness going on here!
Thanks, Lauren! They are amazing!
Brownie batter is always SO much better than brownies — why is that? I bet these are amazing!
I don’t know why, but it is and I’m okay with that.