Looking for a snack that’s satisfying to low carb eaters and non-low carb eaters alike? These spicy, cheesy, and perfectly crunchy Low Carb Sausage-Stuffed Mini Sweet Peppers will have everyone coming back for more.
I took my oldest child and my only son, G, grocery shopping with me the other day. He doesn’t usually care to go, but this time he was eager. He was so helpful during the whole trip. G insisted on carrying the list, reading me the items, and checking them off when we put them in the cart.
I kept marveling at home sweet he was being and how much I was enjoying our time together. Until . . . We passed by the clothing section, and I stopped to admire a really cute top. I asked if he thought it was cute and, without hesitation, he replied, “I think it’s halfway to being cute.”
At least he’s tactful? I got a good laugh from his comment, and then we continued on to get the rest of the items on our list. Those items included everything necessary to make these Low Carb Sausage-Stuffed Mini Sweet Peppers. Y’all, these things are so good. I originally saw the recipe shared in a low carb Facebook group I’ve in, and I knew right away I had to make them, with my own spin, of course.
Low Carb Sausage-Stuffed Mini Sweet Peppers are the perfect example of a recipe that doesn’t feel like a “diet” recipe. How could it when it’s packed with cream cheese, pepperjack cheese, and sausage? These little bites are wonderful as an appetizer or a snack, and I think they’d be great as a side for dinner, too.
Sausage-Stuffed Mini Sweet Peppers
adapted from Stockpiling Moms
- 1/2 pound hot ground sausage
- 10 mini sweet peppers
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded pepperjack cheese, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. Brown sausage and, while it’s cooking, remove the tops from the peppers, slice them in half lengthwise, and use a spoon to remove the seeds.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, half a cup of shredded cheese, salt, and garlic powder. Drain the cooked sausage and add it in.
- Fill the halved peppers will spoonfuls of the sausage and cream cheese mixture, and then place the peppers on the baking sheet. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the peppers.
- Bake for 18-21 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- I like to turn the broiler on for a couple minutes after the cooking time is up to get a nice golden color on the cheese. Just be careful, though, because you can go from golden to burnt quickly.
- You can use mild sausage, of course, or you can omit it altogether.
- Store leftover peppers in the fridge. For best results, reheat them in the oven.
Other Low Carb Recipes You’ll Love
Pin this recipe for Low Carb Sausage-Stuffed Mini Sweet Peppers for later!